• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Delicious in Dungeon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:38 am Reply with quote
I think the second half meandered because it was mostly going through stuff we already know - but I did appreciate giving Chilchuck some solid character moments.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the latest episode was odd since there was lots of momentum in the beginning that were insane, but it then slowed down considerably when it ended up being more about Chilchuck. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem about what's he feeling at the moment, but it felt it lacked payoff from how this episode started. And frankly I felt cheated I have to wait a little longer to see the next phase.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Re: last weeks episode: The use of other animal parts to help with restoring a body is a neat bit of world building. It seems like there can be some cross influence there as the dragon's power seems to be affecting Falin. I wonder if people in this world have experimented with that sort of thing...

Re: This weeks episode: Guess the connection had some negative consequences for Falin though... While I understand how it makes sense that Falin is the one taken, it seems like a poor choice to make her lost again right after getting her back. Like the author couldn't decide how to get them to deal with this big bad (which doesn't really seem needed), so it had to give them a reason to force them into the dungeon again (even though it's their livelihood) and just went with the same excuse
So is this the same lunatic magician as from the paintings or just the same person depicted? If it's the same person, I guess he just hangs out there when he misses the past?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it's a lot of a downer that right after being done with a long quest to find Falin, they'll be outside ready to... beging a long quest to find Falin. When they get her back again, will Bowser show up?
There was a lot of promise in adding Falin to the cast, both for what she can do and for who she is, but that's gone and I guess that role will be fulfilled now by less interesting faces.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
I have finally caught up with Delicious Dungeon, my overall experience has been mostly positive. The food preparation is somehow even better than Food Wars, and I like all the creative ways they use what's around them. I like the four main characters, and even Falin despite not having much screen time.

Episode 14, might be my least favourite so far. It does make a nice change to shift the attention to other adventures, way too much time was spent doing that this episode. And while it was fun seeing that party turn up dead every few episodes, due to incompetence, I don't find them interesting enough to carry so much screen time.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
I think this would have made more sense if there was some time between the seasons airing, or perhaps it might be helpful if this was where there was a break in the manga or a break between volumes (which may have been the case, I can't say). As a weekly viewer with no break though it felt perfunctory.

While I do agree with the first part of the comment, this is a quirk of adaptation timing rather than a design flaw.

Episode 14 is a direct and very faithful adaptation of manga chapters 31 and 32, whereas episode 13 was a direct and faithful adaptation of chapters 29 and 30, so this is how the manga does it. (For the record, ep 13 started manga v5.) The reason why this content was done here should become apparent in a couple more episodes.

EDIT: This is also why I consider the second cour to start with episode 13 instead, even though we didn't get the new OP and ED until 14.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
This was an interesting way to introduce a new villain.
At first Kabru doesn't seem like one - afterall he was incompetent enough to be killed by a bunch of bugs in a box and by fish with sticks, and his perky and friendly tone signal him as a good guy. But while incompetent against monsters he has the one and only skill he needs to be a villain: be very good at murder. And despite the friendly tone the things he does and says are pretty evil: he not only killed the bandits, he made very sure they couldn't be resurrected and that their souls would stay tied to the bottom of the lake until the curse is lifted - a sense of justice being the pretext to justify his excess - and while most of his reasoning is sound he made a huge leap of logic when concluding that the siblings "do not care about people", because he needs to paint them as not-good to be justified inmurdering them and their party.

As for the Japanese party, one of them being a stage hand made me laugh, really hope we NEVER see them do or say anything. Also, the samurai's disheveled beard made me realize that Laios must be taking care to shave daily even while in the dungeon.
Nev999

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Kabru: initially presented as an incompetent comedy character, we actually see find out he's really good at combat when it comes to humans, see him ruthlessly murder a bunch of guys and dump their bodies in the water so they can't be resurrected (with the full support of his party), he mentions that he hates monsters, but loves analyzing people (and gets unsettlingly excited and unhinged about it) and is apparently pretty charming and manipulative, and wants to destroy the dungeon to protect the surrounding island meaning he's the exact opposite of Laios (who loves monsters in an unhinged way, has trouble with people, is offputting to people especially when they first meet them, loves the dungeon but probably doesn't think much of what could happen to the surrounding island, and would likely object to killing someone, especially permanently).

This review: that seems like a really typical character doesn't leave much impact

I'm not trying to be critical--I think these reviews are solid and nice and notice a lot of the fun things and interesting animation (and the criticism of Kabru figuring out things we already know is valid, even if it does demonstrate how he's hyper-observant and has a knack for deduction, and also gives us a little backstory on Laios, Falin, Namari, and Chilchuck that sort of show how they come off negatively to people not in their party and all have baggage to deal with) I kind of wish we could engage in the show on a deeper level. There's a lot it's cooking, and I pegged Kabru as Laios' foil pretty immediately when I read this chapter...it'd be kind of cool to discuss that

( Like I don't expect a discussion of every single one of those things, but I was surprised the ruthless murder didn't even warrant a mention.)

Quote:
Also, the samurai's disheveled beard made me realize that Laios must be taking care to shave daily even while in the dungeon.

Spoiler from manga side material if you're interested (the anime won't cover it)
spoiler[ Laios resents his father, and Falin once pointed out that when he's unshaven and his hair is long he looks like him, so ever since then he's made sure to keep his hair short and shave every day]
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
he made very sure they couldn't be resurrected and that their souls would stay tied to the bottom of the lake until the curse is lifted

Did they say the part about the soul being bound in the lake? I can't remember for sure but was curious because they brought up the destruction of the body affecting the tether of the soul. That is a fascinating detail now that you mention it though, I am starting to think the true value of the dungeon spell is it doesn't cause madness. We already saw proof that there is other soul binding magic from the ring from earlier in the show, it caused the earthbound spirit distress and made it aggressive, that leads me to believe that besides the size and range of the dungeon spell the Mad Mage perfected preserving the soul without harming or agitating it. Otherwise, the residents would be as feral as the other ghosts we see, perhaps the ghosts in the dungeon are souls that have already deteriorated and are then drawn to the dungeon for some reason.

Kabru is very unsettling. I notice a common theme in the show is different approaches to problems and how those characters try to come together in various ways. Kabru is definitely getting set up to be not only a villain but also the ideological opposite of the main party. Kabru is well learned and sure of himself, but when he encounters something he doesn't comprehend he makes no effort to empathize with or understand it. He judges the Touden siblings for their methods despite noting they were helping others, he eliminates the criminals and provides a justification while not asking others for input at all, he believes he could personally govern better than those in power, and he's positive the dungeon is a time bomb threatening order without trying to understand it better.

It's very telling that he has the same concern as Senshi (monsters being unchecked and pouring into society at large) but approaches it with such a burned earth methodology. Kabru is positive he knows best and he does not ask why creatures, people, or societies operate outside of his expectations, he only desires to take them out of the "perfect" picture he has in his head.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
FishLion wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
he made very sure they couldn't be resurrected and that their souls would stay tied to the bottom of the lake until the curse is lifted

Did they say the part about the soul being bound in the lake?

I think they established previously that the lake is incredibly deep, far too deep for anyone to safely dive to the bottom in search of bodies (even if something like SCUBA exists, there are also monsters down there). So if a body is sunk down there (in a way that ensures it won't float back up), they will be virtually unrecoverable.
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
So if a body is sunk down there (in a way that ensures it won't float back up), they will be virtually unrecoverable.

I know it's unrecoverable, I meant more that if the body is broken down by the detritivores that live in the lake then will the soul still be bound to the dungeon? We know the dungeon binds the soul to the body and that a destroyed body harms that connection, so that's why I'm speculating the original purpose was to bind souls for preservation and the people being saved lost their bodies but didn't catch ghost madness.

I'm not completely sure because (edit: I don't remember if) they specified where the soul goes when the body-soul binding is compromised, but it would give a reason for why the Mage created the spell, is on friendly terms with the resident ghosts, and it would line up with searching for the king if he tried to preserve the souls of that same kingdom.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't know about all that. My commentary was just that: by sinking the bodies they will never be found, at least not in a way that can be revived. It was stated that Kabu's party was moved out of the lake for the specific purpose of being safely revived (and not eaten), so by sinking the bodies they intend to achieve the opposite: for the bodies to be destroyed and not revived.
Although that destruction might mean that their souls might become free to die instead of trapped at the bottom forever, but that's something I'm unaware of.
FishLion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I see, even with me misunderstanding your meaning and not having confirmation it's a very interesting thought for sure. I was very curious why anyone would craft such powerful magic just for looking for the king, but trying to preserve everyone's souls and rebuild the entire kingdom out of fresh meat when the king is back seems like the best reasoning for his behavior until I find out more
Nev999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
FishLion wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
So if a body is sunk down there (in a way that ensures it won't float back up), they will be virtually unrecoverable.

I know it's unrecoverable, I meant more that if the body is broken down by the detritivores that live in the lake then will the soul still be bound to the dungeon? We know the dungeon binds the soul to the body and that a destroyed body harms that connection, so that's why I'm speculating the original purpose was to bind souls for preservation and the people being saved lost their bodies but didn't catch ghost madness.

I'm not completely sure because (edit: I don't remember if) they specified where the soul goes when the body-soul binding is compromised, but it would give a reason for why the Mage created the spell, is on friendly terms with the resident ghosts, and it would line up with searching for the king if he tried to preserve the souls of that same kingdom.

Marcille mentioned if they moved Falin as a skeleton her body soul connection would weaken and she'd eventually be lost. However, given what we know the nature of the curse, I do think there's a possibility her soul would still become part of the dungeon. There's a high possibility she'd become a ghost...and that's likely what will happen to the corpse retrievers. If they're not exorcised, they're stuck there forever. (I'm not sure if the Kabru crew know this though. It's unclear if they've encountered any ghosts or made that connection.)
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
The scene where Senshi begins explaining the birds and the bees to Chilchuck was great. The face was hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7