• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Light Novel Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
Cloudywind wrote:
Somebody seems to have deleted my last post so perhaps I shall rephrase.
Quote:
There is a real effort made to show that the demons aren't just another race, too – they keep slaves, whereas humans don't appear to.

I hope that the reviewer isn't implying that the practice of slavery, abhorrent and evil as it is, I'm and of itself makes one group inherently less of a people than another. I think that would miss the point entirely, when we learn in that very volume that even something as terrible as the night elves' fanatical hatred towards and love of torturing the forest elves is a learned behavior taught to their children, not a natural characteristic making them not "another race".

(haven't read the novel, just took a quick skim of the review referred to, Zilbagias the Demon Prince)
I think the reviewer's quote saying they're "not just another race" is pointing out that the groups have different cultural practices and ways of life setting themselves apart, rather than simply different physical features or inherent abilities. It says nothing about one race or another being less of a people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2