• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Increases Subscription Prices for Mega Fan/Ultimate Fan Tiers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, this really wasn't that much of a surprise. It just came down to when it was going to happen.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
I only have the lowest tier since the others offered nothing I thought was worth the added price, but I expect that will follow at some point soon.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Lmao. So much for "no price increases"
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

In fairness, they said that they weren't announcing price changes at the time, not that there wouldn't be any in the future. I do question that reason given for declining to answer ANN's question about any future changes though. They said it would be "improbable" to predict that for the next two years, but here it is about two months later. That seems like something that would be pretty easy to predict since it was almost certainly already in the works.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

"no announcements about a price change at this time."

It's really not that hard to understand that it will happne at some point...
el_morris

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
The price increase is understable for say Argentina, where the annual subscription was the equivalent to 4.5 dollars. With this I wonder how much the subscription will raise here in Mexico, currently the annual plan costs 1499 pesos (around 90 dollars) so maybe another 100 pesos, but I'll deal with that next year.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
Not an issue, this is my most used streaming platform and the easiest to justify the expense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
As a Fan Member, I pay $99.99 CAD annually for my Crunchy sub. Considering the number of shows I watch on it, I consider that a freakin' bargain.
el_morris

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As a Fan Member, I pay $99.99 CAD annually for my Crunchy sub. Considering the number of shows I watch on it, I consider that a freakin' bargain.

Yeah, around 50 simulcasts and 20 english simuldubs just this season (plus simuldubs in at least 7 foreign languages) so still is relatively cheap, but in the other hand they still are losing licenses (like recently Shinsekai Yori or Campione!) without notifying in any way to its customers, I would like some transparency in that regard.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
... when did they introduce tiers? Last time I was subscribed I think there was only the one. Also, does the lowest tier still feature ads as ti has become the norm with these diservices?
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

It's $79.99 USD for the same, and I agree about it being a bargain considering how often I use the site. (Especially compared to Hulu and Netflix.)

EDIT:

Yuvelir wrote:
... when did they introduce tiers? Last time I was subscribed I think there was only the one. Also, does the lowest tier still feature ads as ti has become the norm with these diservices?

The lowest paid tier is the Fan Tier (which is what both Blood- and I are talking about), and no, it doesn't have commercials. You just don't get access to extras like manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
As someone who had to change my plan sometime last year, they don’t offer annual subscriptions anymore in the US, only monthly. If you’re still on one, it seems like you can stay there but if you have to make any changes, expect to be forced to monthly.

This price increase was expected, but it doesn’t make it go down any easier.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Giolon wrote:
As someone who had to change my plan sometime last year, they don’t offer annual subscriptions anymore in the US, only monthly. If you’re still on one, it seems like you can stay there but if you have to make any changes, expect to be forced to monthly.

You can get an annual Fan for $80 in the CR store here.
Alternatively, Walmart still sells Mega Fan annual gift cards for $100. You can order one here.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Another notable change: free shipping from the store for Fan is now for >$75 orders. It was >$50 (which is also how it is now for Mega Fan; I think it was >$25 for Mega before, but don't quote me on that).

My grandfathered Got Anime! 10% discount is still around for now.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

The lowest paid tier is the Fan Tier (which is what both Blood- and I are talking about), and no, it doesn't have commercials. You just don't get access to extras like manga.

They gutted their Manga section a while back, especially when KManga and MangaUp! took off, as most series moved over there.

blahmoomoo wrote:
Another notable change: free shipping from the store for Fan is now for >$75 orders. It was >$50 (which is also how it is now for Mega Fan; I think it was >$25 for Mega before, but don't quote me on that).

My grandfathered Got Anime! 10% discount is still around for now.

The $25 I think was just a launch promo, and even Mega Fan accounts had it changed to $50 not long after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2